Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Getting Ready for the New Year

The last few years, I haven't taken the time to 'prepare' for the new year by writing down important goals and setting intentions. I've been wandering through a forest wondering where the path is hidden.

If you've never done a Wheel of Life, it's a fun project, can be as detailed as you'd like, and redirects the path to success. As a former life management coach, I used this with clients at the end of each year.

Here is a quick overview:

Draw a circle

Next, draw 'wedges' in the circle for each area of your life: (ex. health, personal growth, family/friends, career, creative endeavors, art/writing, spirituality, recreation, home, relationship -- add or delete what suits your life)

Begin anyplace on the circle: Ask yourself three questions:

1) On a scale of 1 to 10 where am I now? ('10' being perfect '0' not so much) Write down your answer
2) Where would I like to be?

3) What will it take to get from where I am to where I want to be? List out your ideas.

Go back to the circle and mark two lines in the wedge you're working on for the answers to question 1 and 2 (the center of the circle is '0' and '10 is the outer rim)


Here is an example:

WEDGE: Health  

Where am I now?: 5  

Where would I like to be? 10  

What will it take for me to get to 10?

a) 30 minute walk daily
b) yoga class twice a week
 c) stock the fridge with fresh fruit and veggies so I'm not tempted to eat junk food
d) no snacks after 7 p.m.

 The more detailed you are, the more likely you will be successful.

  It took me about an hour to complete my wedge. I tightened things up a bit and put them in a special notebook so that I can review my actions.

  Good luck!!!

No comments: